Business & Policy
Traits & Stewardship
CYSA announces 2020 presentation topics, seeks board members
By Top Crop Manager
By Top Crop Manager
Canadian Young Speakers for Agriculture (CYSA) Inc. has announced the topics for their 2020 competition. CYSA is a national, bilingual competition that provides a platform for participants to share their opinions, ideas and concerns about the Canadian agriculture and agri-food industries. This year’s competition will be held on Nov. 7.
The competition, held annually at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto since 1985, is open to all Canadian residents between the ages of 11 to 24 as of the date of the competition. Participants compete in one of two age divisions – junior (11 to 15) and senior (16 to 24) – by presenting a five to seven-minute speech on one of the topics selected for that year. The topics for 2020 are:
- How can we fill the talent pipeline in Canadian agriculture?
- What impact will the emerging micro-food processing industry have on agriculture?
- Aquaculture: The challenges and solutions of developing, funding and marketing an emerging food source;
- Climate change: Can the family farm manage and capitalize on this shift?
- Lessons learned over the last 25 years of agriculture, and how we can apply them to the next 25;
- Should the agriculture industry fund and support opportunities for youth development?
- How can we create ecosystem markets that reward Canada’s farmers for environmental stewardship?
Each province is limited to three participants in each category; additional entries will be put on a master list in case of cancellations or open spots in other provinces, which will be filled based on the order in which the registrations were received.
Applications can be completed online at cysa-joca.ca/ or submitted by mail to:
Canadian Young Speakers for Agriculture Inc.
Box 25015, Stone Road Mall, Postal Outlet
370 Stone Road West, Unit 17
Guelph, Ontario N1G 2X0
CYSA Inc. is also currently seeking applications for board membership for the 2020-22 mandate. Interested parties should submit their resumé and cover letter detailing why they wish to join CYSA Inc., and include any relevant qualifications and experience. Board membership is a voluntary role with no remuneration. Applications will be received up to noon on Tuesday, Feb. 11, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the address listed above.
For more information, visit https://cysa-joca.ca/.