Five simple tips to keep crops ready for market
By Keep it Clean!
By Keep it Clean!
From seed selection to delivery, the choices made along the way can impact market access for Canadian canola, cereals and pulses. To help growers make some of those decisions, Keep it Clean! has put together a handy reference guide called 5 Simple Tips.
Covering every stage of crop production, the 5 Simple Tips guide provides growers with practical advice to reduce pesticide residues and traces of disease, ensuring their crops comply with set maximum residue limits (MRLs).
Growers can help maintain Canada’s reputation as a supplier of high-quality canola, cereals and pulses by keeping market access top of mind and following these 5 Simple Tips:
- Tip #1: Use Acceptable Pesticides Only – Only apply pesticides that are both registered for use on your crop in Canada and won’t create trade concerns.
- Tip #2: Always Read and Follow the Label – Applying pesticides or desiccants without following label directions may result in unacceptable residues.
- Tip #3: Grow Disease-Resistant Varieties and Use Practices That Reduce Infection – Crop diseases like blackleg in canola and Fusarium head blight (FHB) in cereals can cause yield and quality losses, impact profitability and may create a market risk.
- Tip #4: Store Your Crop Properly – Proper storage helps to maintain crop quality and keeps the bulk free of harmful cross contaminants.
- Tip #5: Deliver What You Declare – When you sign the mandatory Declaration of Eligibility affidavit at the elevator, you are making a legal assertion that your crop is the variety and/or class you have designated.
When growers consider market access at all points in the growing season and take the necessary steps to grow a market-ready crop, they can protect their own investments and help keep markets open for all.
Visit keepingitclean.ca to learn more about the 5 Simple Tips and to access useful resources for growers, agri-retailers and agronomists.