Inputs: The Podcast
Inputs: A pulse check on the pea industry
By Top Crop Manager
With the launching of two pea-protein processing facilities in Manitoba, the third episode of Inputs: The Podcast by Top Crop Manager explores some of the opportunities and challenges for growing peas.
During the first half of the episode, associate editor Stephanie Gordon provides some context on where the pea-protein industry is and where it’s going. For the second half, Cassandra Tkachuk, production specialist with the Manitoba Pulse and Soybean Growers (MPSG), joins in to provide an agronomy angle to the topic.
Never miss an episode of Inputs by subscribing to the new Top Crop Manager channel on iTunes. The full Inputs playlist is now available on iTunes, Google Podcasts, and Spotify.
Several resources were mentioned during the podcast, here they are linked below:
- Field pea growth staging guide: A MPSG visual guide to help identify field pea growth stages.
- MPSG’s field pea production guidelines: a fact sheet that has everything Manitoba producers need to know to grow field peas.
- KeepingItClean.ca: a resource on what crop protection products/desiccants can be used on pulse crops.
- Saskatchewan Pulse Growers
- Manitoba Agriculture’s 2019 cost of production for crops
- The Top Crop Manager article referenced that showed diverse rotations are more profitable, including a yield benefit in some crops when they were planted into field pea stubble.
Print this page