Flexible frame improves seed depth
New Holland's SD550 air hoe drill delivers simple, precise seed placement with a working width up to 70 feet. A fold-up system allows the SD550 to fold up to a 17ft8in transport width for safe, more convenient transport on roads.
November 20, 2007 By Top Crop Manager
New Holland's SD550 air hoe drill delivers simple, precise seed placement with a working width up to 70 feet. A fold-up system allows the SD550 to fold up to a 17ft8in transport width for safe, more convenient transport on roads. Single-point depth setting provides consistent control across the entire machine for exact, repeatable seed depth.
The SD550 features a flexible frame that allows each wing and press wheel to follow the contours of the field independently without affecting adjacent sections. Depth accuracy is assured from the front to the rear of the machine with a two-wing piece. The front two ranks follow terrain at a depth set by the nearby caster assemblies, and the rear two ranks follow the ground on which the press wheels run. The flexible frame also dissipates frame stress, which provides more durability as compared to traditional welded joints.
- The SD550 features numerous configuration choices to match a variety of seeding styles:
- A variety of Stealth openers for single-shoot, double-shoot side-band and paired row allow operators to match anhydrous application according to seeding style. Operators can put seed and anhydrous right where it is needed with one piece of equipment.
- Multiple packing choices, including gang-style press wheels in semi-pneumatic, steel or walking beam pneumatic, allow the operator to match the drill to specific conditions. A patented, variable packing pressure system allows the operator to easily change packing pressure from field to field.
- Customized soil closing options include single bar, heavy harrow or disc levellers.
- For extra tough conditions and double-shoot operations, there is a choice of 350 pound standard trips or 550 pound trips.
- Transporting the SD550 is easy due to the innovative design that utilizes all tires during transport for an extremely smooth ride when moving from field to field.