Ontario agriculture producers gain competitive edge
By Top Crop Manager
May 1, 2015 - Ontario farmers are better able to grow their profits, expand their markets and manage risks with help from the governments of Canada and Ontario under the five-year Growing Forward 2 (GF2) program.
GF2 program updates as of April 1, 2015:
- Under a single program, all GF2 funding opportunities are now merit-based
- Cost-share caps per project have been introduced for each eligible project category
- To be eligible, funding will only apply to invoices dated after a letter approving a funding allocation has been issued by OSCIA.
GF2 provides cost-shared funding for assessment/audit, planning, skills development and training and implementation project categories.
OSCIA is looking to fund projects in six areas of focus:
- Environment and climate change adaptation
- Animal and plant health
- Market development
- Labour productivity enhancement
- Assurance systems: food safety, traceability, animal welfare
- Business and leadership development.
Only the projects with the most impact will be awarded cost-shared funding. Applications can besubmitted during these dates in 2015:
- May 1 to May 21, 2015
- August 10 to August 27, 2015
- November 16 to December 3, 2015
OSCIA advises farmers to consult the new program guidelines for full details before beginning projects. They are available at www.ontariosoilcrop.org. New applications will also be available prior to the
opening of the next intake on May 1, 2015.
Producers in the process of making claims for year two projects should get them in by May 15, 2015. The
changes do not apply to previously approved projects.
GF2 is a cost-shared partnership between federal, provincial and territorial governments designed to support an innovative, competitive and profitable Canadian agriculture and agri-food sector.
Contact John Laidlaw at 519-826-4218 or email@example.com