By Bruce Barker
New herbicide product registrations and label updates continue to bring more choice to farmers managing weed infestations. Product information is provided by the manufacturers.
BlackHawk: carfentrazone (Group 14) + 2,4-D Ester 700 (Group 4).
Manufacturer: NuFarm Canada.
- BlackHawk is cereal pre-seed burndown herbicide that provides faster and more complete weed control over straight glyphosate/Group 2 tank-mix products. Registered for use prior to spring and durum wheat, barley, winter wheat and rye, BlackHawk can be used alone for broad-spectrum weed control, or tank-mixed with glyphosate for enhanced weed control.
Distinct: dicamba (Group 4) + diflufenzopyr (Group 19).
- Distinct herbicide is a tank-mix partner for glyphosate for use in chemfallow and post-harvest applications. The addition of Distinct to glyphosate will provide additional control over and above glyphosate on key weeds such as kochia (including Group 2- and Group 9-resistant kochia), and perennial weeds such as Canada thistle. Distinct also provides an additional mode of action to glyphosate to help delay and manage the potential for glyphosate-resistant weeds. Merge adjuvant is required when using Distinct.
Inferno Duo: tribenuron + flucarbazone (Group 2).
Manufacturer: Arysta LifeScience.
- Inferno Duo combines the broadleaf activity of tribenuron (the same active ingredient in Express SG) with broadleaf and longer-lasting soil activity on grasses of flucarbazone. Inferno Duo, when mixed with glyphosate, will provide wide-spectrum burndown weed control.
Grassy and broadleaf weed herbicides
Tricor DF: metribuzin (Group 5).
Manufacturer: United Phosphorus Inc.
- Tricor DF is a pre-emergent herbicide specially formulated for control of a wide range of broadleaf weeds and grasses in soybean, potato and lentil crops. Key weeds controlled include wild mustard, barnyard grass, pigweed, common chickweed, wild buckwheat, nightshade and yellow foxtail.
Viper ADV: Imazamox (Group 2) + Bentazon (Group 6).
- Viper ADV consists of a new, more convenient liquid formulation with superior efficacy and excellent rotational freedom. Viper ADV offers broad-spectrum control of grasses and broadleaf weeds including key resistant biotypes. The multiple modes of action provide additional activity on broadleaf weeds and a great resistant management tool.
Broadleaf weed herbicides
Barricade II: thifensulfuron methyl (Group 2) + tribenuron methyl (Group 2) + fluroxypyr (Groups 4).
- Barricade II is a new formulation that decreases the amount of product growers need to handle. It provides consistent and powerful control of a broad range of broadleaf weeds in spring wheat, durum and barley, including narrow-leaved hawk’s beard, cleavers and kochia, and is now registered for the control of Stork’s-bill.
Enforcer M: MCPA Ester (Group 4) + fluroxypyr (Group 4) + bromoxynil (Group 6).
Manufacturer: NuFarm Canada.
- Enforcer M is registered in spring and durum wheat, barley and winter wheat for control of a wide range of annual broadleaf weeds. Enforcer M targets wild buckwheat, cleavers, kochia, hemp nettle and chickweed. It is tank-mixable with several grassy weed herbicides.
Enforcer D: 2,4-D (Group 4) + fluroxypyr (Group 4) + bromoxynil (Group 6).
Manufacturer: NuFarm Canada.
- Enforcer D is registered in spring and durum wheat, and barley, for control of a wide range of annual broadleaf weeds. Enforcer M is recommended for control of wild buckwheat, cleavers, kochia, Russian thistle, stinkweed, narrow-leaved hawk’s beard and redroot pigweed. It is tank-mixable with several grassy weed herbicides.
Momentum: fluroxypyr + clopyralid (Group 4).
- Registered on wheat and barley and available only at Viterra, Momentum provides broad-spectrum broadleaf weed control. It has excellent performance on Canada thistle, cleavers and kochia, and can be tank-mixed with virtually all grass products on the market. Growers can add MCPA Ester, 2,4-D Ester or Refine SG to round out the weed spectrum specific to their fields.
Retain SG: tribenuron + thifensulfuron (Group 2) + fluroxypyr (Group 4) + 2,4-D Ester (Group 4).
- Updated in 2013, Retain is seeing a facelift from the DF (dry flowable) formulation to the SG (Soluble Granule) and so will now be called Retain SG. Providing superior tank-mixing cleaning, Retain SG is a great fit with Everest 2.0 Herbicide as well as Axial. Retain SG can be used on wheat and barley for a wide spectrum of weeds.
Priority: florasulam (Group 2).
Manufacturer: MANA Canada.
- Priority broadleaf weed herbicide is the ideal glyphosate tank-mix partner for a pre-seed burndown application prior to cereals. When mixed with glyphosate, Priority provides the same active ingredients, weed control and performance as PrePass.
TopLine: florasulam (Group 2) + MCPA Ester (Group 4).
Manufacturer: MANA Canada.
- TopLine is a co-pack of florasulam and MCPA Ester, the same active ingredients found in Frontline. TopLine combines the power of Group 2 and Group 4 herbicides to control a wide spectrum of broadleaf weeds in wheat, barley and oat crops, and it is tank-mixable with several grassy weed herbicides for broad-spectrum, one-pass weed control in wheat and barley.
Attain XC: fluroxypyr + 2,4-D (Group 4).
- Attain XC is now registered for use in winter wheat for control of numerous broadleaf weeds, including wild buckwheat and cleavers. Also registered for application by ground sprayer and aircraft.
Axial: pinoxade (Group 1).
- New built-in adjuvant formulation replaces the previous 100EC formulation. The new formulation brings added convenience to growers using Axial on their spring (excluding durum) wheat and barley in 2013.
Infinity: pyrasulfotole (Group 27) and bromoxynil (Group 6).
- Minor use registration on crops: Perennial ryegrass, red fescue and bromegrass added to the label.
OcTTain XL: fluroxypyr + 2,4-D (Group 4).
- In addition to all spring wheat, durum and barley, OcTTain XL is now registered for use in winter wheat from the late three-leaf to flag-leaf stages of numerous broadleaf weeds, including wild buckwheat (1-8 leaf) and cleavers (1-8 whorl). Now registered for both ground sprayer and aerial application.
Prestige XC: fluroxypyr + clopyralid + MCPA (Group 4).
- Prestige XC has extended weed claims for wild buckwheat (one to eight leaves) and cleavers (one to eight whorls) at both the 20 and 27 acre/case rates. It is registered for use in winter wheat and can be applied by ground or air.
Stellar: florasulam (Group 2) + fluroxypyr (Group 4) + MCPA (Group 4).
- Stellar is now registered for use on oats as well as all wheat and barley. It features two modes of action to assist in the prevention of Group 2-resistant cleavers, chickweed and hemp nettle. Cleavers are controlled up to the eight-whorl stage.
Tandem: pyroxsulam (Group 2) + fluroxypyr (Group 4).
- Tandem is a unique co-package that can be mixed with MCPA, 2,4-D or Curtail M. There is overlapping activity from the actives on chickweed, cleavers and hemp nettle. It is now registered for use by air and use in winter wheat.
PrecisionPac PP-31155: Thifensulfuron methyl + tribenuron methyl + metsulfuron (Group 2).
- PrecisionPac PP-31155 is now approved for the control of annual sow thistle when tank-mixed with MCPA Ester in spring wheat, durum and barley. It provides control of annual weeds such as wild buckwheat, narrow-leaved hawk’s beard, scentless chamomile, hemp nettle and dandelion.
PrecisionPac PP-2525: Thifensulfuron methyl + tribenuron methyl (Group 2).
- Now approved for use on oats and winter wheat, and for the control of stork’s bill (one- to six-leaf) when tank-mixed with Perimeter or Perimeter II, and common chickweed (one- to six-leaf). Also provides control of a wide spectrum of weeds, including wild buckwheat, hemp nettle, night-flowering catchfly, narrow-leaved hawk’s beard and volunteer canola (excluding Clearfield canola) in spring wheat, durum and barley.
PrecisionPac PP-23235: Thifensulfuron methyl + tribenuron methyl + metsulfuron (Group 2).
- Now approved for the control of round leaf mallow (one- to six-leaf) and chickweed (one- to six-leaf) in addition to a broad spectrum of annual weeds, including wild buckwheat, narrow-leaved hawk’s beard in spring wheat, durum and barley.
Valtera: flumioxazin (Group 14).
- Now registered as a pre-emerge soil applied herbicide on soybeans for control of broadleaf weeds
Ammonium Sulphate: Ammonium sulphate (AMS) is a utility modifier being sold for use with Infinity, Tundra, Velocity m3 and Varro herbicides.
- In Tundra and Infinity, AMS should be added to control cleavers in the four- to sixwhorl stage.
- In Velocity m3 and Varro, AMS can provide a five to 10 percent increase in wild oat control under cool conditions and/or heavy weed pressure. Bayer recommends the addition of AMS in spring wheat; do not add AMS to durum as durum is more sensitive to crop injury.