New crop year reminders for Eastern Canada
By Canadian Grain Commission
June 30, 2014, Ontario – Grain grading changes from the Canadian Grain Commission come into effect for Eastern Canada on July 1. These changes include updated tolerances for ergot and sclerotinia for most classes of wheat. As well, the grade schedule for Oats, Canada Eastern, will be updated to be a closer match to that of Oats, Canada Western.
The Official Grain Grading Guide as of July 1, 2014, will be posted shortly before the start of the new crop year.
- A tolerance of 0.5 per cent for Fusarium damage in Food Barley, Canadian Eastern (CE)
- Updated tolerances of 0.04 per cent ergot and 0.04 per cent sclerotinia for all grades except feed in the following classes of Wheat, CE: Red, Red Spring, Hard Red Winter, Hard White Spring, Soft Red Winter, Soft White Spring, Hard White Winter, White Winter.
- Updated tolerances of 0.02 per cent ergot and 0.02 per cent sclerotinia for No. 1 and No. 2 Wheat, CE Amber Durum.
- Revised grade schedule for Oats, CE to bring CE and CW grade schedules closer together.
- New colour guide prints for Oats, Canada Eastern take effect, July 1, 2014. Oats, Canada Eastern Good Colour Guide and Oats, Canada Eastern Fair Colour Guide will replace the physical standard samples for Good colour and Fair colour. Industry members may contact the Canadian Grain Commission at 1-800-853-6705 to request these new colour guides.