Manitoba government announces compensation for flood-affected farmers
Nov. 19, 2014 - Farmers whose lands were flooded as a result of the Manitoba government's decision to use the Portage Diversion this past summer will be eligible for $1.15 million in compensation, Agriculture, Food and Rural Development Minister Ron Kostyshyn and Infrastructure and Transportation Minister Steve Ashton announced today.
"During our flood response, the Manitoba government used the Portage Diversion to manage water flow and provide protection to as many Manitobans' homes and properties as possible," said Minister Kostyshyn. "The government recognizes this decision led to flooding on agricultural land and losses for producers. This compensation will be targeted to farmers affected by the use of the diversion and support their land restoration efforts."
Payments will be made to crop and forage producers in the immediate vicinity of the Portage Diversion for lost production and land restoration, the minister said, adding more than 2,500 acres are expected to be eligible.
"Manitoba is following through on its commitment to help farmers, families and rural communities recover from this year's flooding," said Minister Ashton. "At the same time, we continue to invest millions of dollars in flood-related infrastructure to reduce the future effects on people and property."
Affected producers will be contacted by Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation (MASC). Producers can also contact their local MASC office for information.
Minister Kostyshyn noted this support is in addition to the Canada-Manitoba Forage Shortfall and Transportation Assistance Initiative announced under the AgriRecovery framework last week. Additional information about flood recovery programs for agriculture is available online at www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture.
November 19, 2014 By News release