Farm Invention Challenge now open in Ontario
October 20, 2014 - Tinkering, mending, dabbling, modifying, revolutionizing – whatever it is that you do in your workshop, barn or out in the field, now is your chance for your MacGyver side to shine and win some cash.
Farm & Food Care is launching the Ontario-wide Farm Invention Challenge with $9,000 in cash prizes available for winning entries in the categories of animal care and water efficiency and quality.
Farm & Food Care will profile winning entries as part of our commitment to doing the right thing in animal care and the environment. The Farm Invention Challenge will help share creative ideas and methods that farmers are using on their farms every day.
- A. Animal Care
- Large farm gadgets and gizmos – Whether it`s welding up a new attachment for your skid steer or designing a whole new feeding system, share with us your large scale farm innovations.
- Small farm gadgets and gizmos – Have you ever fixed something with a rubber band or used a cotter pin in an unusual way? We want to hear about the simple fixes that have revolutionized animal care on your farm.
- Farm hacks – Tell us how you have made simple changes around your barn to save time and headaches on your farm.
- B. Water Efficiency & Quality
- Water quality and nutrient management – What changes to equipment or practices have led to improved water quality and less nutrient runoff from farm lands? Share your ideas that help Ontario farmers better manage nutrients and minimize off-site impacts on surface and ground water quality.
- Water use efficiency – Have you built a custom control system or use a different moisture sensor system to minimize overuse of water? Enter your equipment ideas or conservation practices that are working to improve the use of water around your farm.
- Community/other – Tell us about your community organized or farm group projects that have helped to protect and/or improve water resources in your area.
- $1,000 first prize in each category
- $500 second prize in each category
- All entries must be original by the participant
- The competition is open to all residents of Ontario
Winners' names with a description of the entry and photographs will be published on www.farmfoodcare.org and may be profiled in future communications.
Farm & Food Care reserves the non-exclusive right to publish any entry and/or use any entry in promotional and advertising materials. Photos published will be credited to the photographer where possible.
By participating in this contest, each entrant agrees to provide Farm & Food Care with the non-exclusive rights to use their images and information. Participants agree to the terms and conditions outlined within.
All participants must complete and submit the entry form along with a photo of themselves and a photo of the innovation.
Photos must be high-resolution suitable for print reproduction (at least 300 dpi at 6 x 9 inches). In addition short videos of no longer than two minutes can also be submitted to highlight the innovation, how it works and the benefits that it provides.
Limit of two entries per category per entrant.
All entries must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to 100 Stone Road West, Suite 106, Guelph, ON N1G 5L3 (Emails must be no more than 10 MB in size).
All entries must be received by email by end of day on January 2, 2015.
The winners will be selected by a provincial panel of judges. Decision of the judges is final.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Kristen Kelderman, Farm Animal Care Coordinator 519-837-1326 Ext. 220
Bruce Kelly, Environmental Program Lead 519-837-1326 Ext. 292
October 20, 2014 By Farm and Food Care