CYSA Competition winners announced
By Top Crop Manager
Nov. 11, 2015, Guelph, Ont. - The Canadian Young Speakers for Agriculture (CYSA) Competition named the winners of the 2015 competition at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair on Nov. 7.
- Senior champion: David MacTaggart from Lacombe, Alta.
- Senior second place: Simon Greenough from Newport, N.S.
- Senior third place: Kathryn Ringelberg from Troy, Ont.
- Junior champion: Denesh Peramakumar form Concord, Ont.
- Junior second place: Douglas Archer from Mount Pleasant, Ont.
- Junior third place: Priethu Raveendran from Woodbridge, Ont.
This 31st edition of CYSA welcomed 26 competitors aged 11 to 24 from across Canada who offered their insight and solutions regarding the following topics:
- The biggest challenge facing Canadian agriculture today is . . .
- What role should government play in assisting young people entering farm businesses?
- Here's how our changing climate is affecting Canadian agriculture.
- This Canadian has significantly influenced agriculture.
- The one thing modern Canadian farmers must have is . . .
Each year the renowned public speaking competition is held at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Toronto. The competition is open to youth ages 11 to 24 with a passion for agriculture whether raised on a farm, in the country or in the city. The topics for 2016 will be:
- What is the impact of public opinion on Canadian farmers?
- How would you explain a GMO to a non-farmer?
- What does the next generation of agriculture bring to the table?
- How can we improve the media's perception of Canadian agriculture?
- Old MacDonald had a farm...But what about Mrs. MacDonald?
For more information about CYSA visit www.cysa-joca.ca.