COYF national event happening virtually on Dec. 2 and 3
By Top Crop Manager
Canada’s Outstanding Young Farmers’ (COYF) national board and partners are preparing to host Canada’s Outstanding Young Farmers virtual national event on Dec. 2 and 3.
Due to the continuing challenges presented by the COVID pandemic, the 2021 event will be held virtually. There is no fee to attend – simply register on the website.
Every year this event brings recognition to outstanding farm couples in Canada. Honourees are between 18 and 39 years of age who have exemplified excellence in their profession while fostering better urban-rural relations. Seven entrepreneurial farm couples from across Canada who were chosen by their home regions will present highlights of their operations at the event on Friday, Dec. 3.
This year’s regional honourees are:
- Raymond and Tracey Bredenhof, R&T Poultry & Brednehof Hops (Abbotsford, B.C.);
- Roelof and Mary Van Benthem, Van Benthem Dairy Ltd. (Spruce View, Alta.);
- Michael and Jessica Lovich, Lovholm Dairy (Balgonie, Sask.);
- Andre and Katie Steppler, Steppler Farms Ltd. (Miami, Man.):
- Jenny Butcher and Wes Kuntz, Little Brown Cow Dairy (Brantford, Ont.);
- Geneviève Grossenbacher and James Thompson, Notre petite ferme (Lochaber Partie Ouest, Que.); and
- Philip and Katie Keddy, Charles Keddy Farms Ltd. (Woodville, NS).
The portion of the event taking place on Thursday, Dec. 2 will be a forum entitled “Let’s level up our communications skills,” led by Crystal Mackay of Loft32. Mackay will share her best tips for making your point memorable in presentations, on social media and by video.
Celebrating 41 years, Canada’s Outstanding Young Farmers’ program is an annual competition to recognize farmers that exemplify excellence in their profession and promote the tremendous contribution of agriculture. Open to participants 18 to 39 years of age, making the majority of income from on-farm sources, participants are selected from seven regions across Canada, with two national winners chosen each year. The program is sponsored nationally by CIBC, John Deere, Bayer, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Sollio Agriculture and CN; our media partners, Glacier FarmMedia and WS and supported nationally by BDO.